New Cloud-Connector for Eclipse25. September 2014
JavaSPEKTRUM – Codegeneration at the Commerzbank AG31. Dezember 2014
Web-based Code Generation
With the latest release, Virtual Developer provides web-based code generation through its portal. With this feature you can
- try out generators without having to install and configure a development environment
- use generators even when there is no cloud connector avaible for the development environment of your choice
The web-based generation complements the Virtual Developer Cloud Connectors. When there exists a cloud connector for your IDE, that cloud connector is always preferable for your daily work with Virtual Devleoper.
What are other platforms putting on the table?
Web-based generation is not really a new thing. Other platforms like for instance Radarc Online and GenMyModel already provide that kind of functionality. The following features related to web-based generation are unique to Virtual Developer, though:
- Virtual Developer is a modeling agnostic platform – the platform does not dictate which modeling tool to use to create models. You can even develop a generator that uses models from GenMyModel.
- Web-based generation is good to have, but Virtual Developer’s concept of cloud connectors is much more powerful and easier to use (files are directly written into your development environment, no model upload required, existing source code is taken into account, …).
- On Virtual Developer, generators are first class citizens (parallel use of different generator versions, generator documentation is part of the platform, you can use any Java technology to develop your generators, centralized generation error reporting, access-control for generator usage, …).
With three simple steps you can try out any generator in the portal:
- create a generation project for the generator of your choice
- run the web-based generation with a sample model that is provided by the producer of the generator
- browse through the generated code directly in the portal